返回列表 回复 发帖

在天堂遇见的五个人

前言
  这点哭女哭男太多了,不是“我”的女朋友/老婆跟别人睡了,就是“我”的男朋友/老公睡了别人了。。看到都烦。。为了改变m24m现状,现在我就装B装到底,发一个小说,由于没有中文版,所以用我三脚猫的鸟语功夫彻底征服你。声明,不会翻得很优雅,不会按句翻译,大概表达出来再加点我自己的理解就行了,我也会贴原文,这样也避免了让你觉得我是用三脚猫的鸟语功夫在弓虽女干你品味原著权利。其中有错,劳驾有兴趣者指出并更正。谢谢。
  ----------------
  The Five People You Meet In Heaven

The End

THIS IS A STORY ABOUT A MAN named Eddie and it begins at the end, with Eddie dying in the sun. It might seem strange to start a story with an ending. But all endings are also beginnings. We just don’t know it at the time.

在天堂遇见的五个人

终结

这是关于一个人的故事,主人翁名叫艾迪。故事开始于一场终结,艾迪在阳光下死去。一个故事以终结来开始,这可能看上很奇怪。然而,所有的终结都是开始,在那时,我们只是不知道而已。

THE LAST HOUR of Eddie’s life was spent, like most of the others, at Ruby Pier, an amusement park by a great gray ocean. The park had the usual attractions, a boardwalk, a Ferris wheel, roller coasters, bumper cars, a taffy stand, and an arcade where you could shoot streams of water into a clown’s mouth. It also had a big new ride called Freddy’s Free Fall, and this would be where Eddie would be killed, in an accident that would make newspapers around the state.

艾迪生命的最后一个小时,跟其他在鲁比·皮尔的大多数人一样。鲁比·皮尔是一个位于海边的游乐园,里面有常见的娱乐设施,木板小路,一个旋转木马,过山车,碰碰车,一个太妃糖果摊,和一个可以往小丑嘴里射水的拱廊,还有一个叫Freddy式自由落体的新玩意,而这个新玩意将导致一场登上全国报纸头版的意外,而艾迪将死于这次意外。

AT THE TIME of his death, Eddie was a squat, white-haired old man, with a short neck, a barrel chest, thick forearms, and a faded army tattoo on his right shoulder. His legs were thin and veined now, and his left knee, wounded in the war, was ruined by arthritis. He used a cane to get around. His face was broad and craggy from the sun, with salty whiskers and a lower jaw that protruded slightly, making him look prouder than he felt. He kept a cigarette behind his left ear and a ring of keys hooked to his belt. He wore rubber-soled shoes. He wore an old linen cap. His pale brown uniform suggested a workingman, and a workingman he was.

艾迪是一个矮胖的白发老头,短颈子,桶状胸,厚前臂,右肩上有一个褪却的军队纹身。他的双腿很瘦,青筋突出,左膝盖在战争中受伤,由于关节炎,现在完全不能动,只好随身带着一根拐杖。脸上很多皱纹,胡子拉碴,下颚有些轻微的突出,在阳光下看起来比他自己觉得还冠冕堂皇。左耳上夹一根烟,腰上的皮带挂着一串钥匙,穿着一双胶鞋,戴一顶老旧的布帽子,还有那身看了就让人联想到工人的灰褐色制服,的确,他就是一个工人。

EDDIE’S JOB WAS "maintaining" the rides, which really meant keeping them safe. Every afternoon, he walked the park, checking on each attraction, from the Tilt-A-Whirl to the Pipeline Plunge. He looked for broken boards, loose bolts, worn-out steel. Sometimes he would stop, his eyes glazing over, and people walking past thought something was wrong. But he was listening, that’s all. After all these years he could hear trouble, he said, in the spits and stutters and thrumming of the equipment.

艾迪的工作就是维护那些娱乐设施,意思就是,让那些娱乐设施保证安全运行。每天下午,他会走遍整个游乐园,检查每一个设施,寻找着那些折断的板块,松动的螺丝,磨损的铁部件。有时他会停下,目光呆滞,从他旁走过的人们过去常以为是什么东西出了问题,但是,他是在听,仅此而已。这些年来,他说,甚至可以从启动制动时设备发出的轰隆声听出问题来。

WITH 50 MINUTES left on earth, Eddie took his last walk along Ruby Pier. He passed an elderly couple.
  "Folks," he mumbled, touching his cap.
  They nodded politely. Customers knew Eddie. At least the regular ones did. They saw him summer after summer, one of those faces you associate with a place. His work shirt had a patch on the chest that read EDDIE above the word MAINTENANCE, and sometimes they would say, "Hiya, Eddie Maintenance," although he never thought that was funny.
  Today, it so happened, was Eddie’s birthday, his 83rd. A doctor, last week, had told him he had shingles. Shingles? Eddie didn’t even know what they were. Once, he had been strong enough to lift a carousel horse in each arm. That was a long time ago.

离开这个世界还剩下五十分钟了,他并不知道这是他最后一次在鲁比·皮尔游走。他从一对年老的夫妇旁走过。轻声地打了个招呼,那对夫妇礼貌地向他点了点头。游客都知道艾迪。 他们来自很多地方,每个夏天他们都会看到艾迪。他的工作服的胸前有一块印着“艾迪 维修”的工牌,“艾迪”写在“维修”的上面。有时,他们会说“你好呀,艾迪维修”,尽管这样,他也从来不觉得好笑。
  今天,就这么发生了,是艾迪的生日,83岁生日。一位医生上周告诉他得了疱疹,疱疹?他甚至不知道这是啥。以前他足够强壮的时候可以双手举起一匹旋转木马上的木马,不过那是很久以前的事了。

"EDDIE!" . . . "TAKE ME, Eddie!" . . . "Take me!"
  Forty minutes until his death. Eddie made his way to the front of the roller coaster line. He rode every attraction at least once a week, to be certain the brakes and steering were solid. Today was coaster day—the "Ghoster Coaster" they called this one—and the kids who knew Eddie yelled to get in the cart with him.
  Children liked Eddie. Not teenagers. Teenagers gave him headaches. Over the years, Eddie figured he’d seen every sort of do-nothing, snarl-at-you teenager there was. But children were different. Children looked at Eddie—who, with his protruding lower jaw, always seemed to be grinning, like a dolphin—and they trusted him. They drew in like cold hands to a fire. They hugged his leg. They played with his keys. Eddie mostly grunted, never saying much. He figured it was because he didn’t say much that they liked him.

“艾迪!...我!艾迪...带我!”
  离他离开这个世界还有四十分钟。艾迪走到过山车的排队线的前面。他每周把所有的游乐车都至少坐上一次,以确保它们没有安全隐患。今天艾迪要坐那个被叫作“幽灵过山车”的,认识艾迪的孩子叫喊着艾迪跟他坐一个车厢里。
  孩子们喜欢艾迪。但不是年轻人,年轻人常常让他头疼。多年来,艾迪能判断出在这里他所见到的各类游手好闲,专门刁难你的年轻人。但是孩子就不一样,孩子看着艾迪,透过突出的下颚,总是看上去像咧嘴在笑,像一个海豚,他们相信他,靠近他就像是冰冷的双手在火上取暖一样。他们抱着他的脚,玩弄着挂在他皮带上的钥匙。艾迪只是厌烦地咕噜着,绝对不会多说。他说道,那正是因为他不多说,所以孩子们才喜欢他。

老子难得看。。但是,看贴要回贴

我和楼上的一样   也是难得看

曰,一次不能超过三千字。。。真tmd终极武器 要你命3000

THIRTY MINUTES LEFT.
  "Hey, happy birthday, I hear," Dominguez said.
  Eddie grunted.
  "No party or nothing?"
  Eddie looked at him as if he were crazy. For a moment he thought how strange it was to be growing old in a place that smelled of cotton candy.
  "Well, remember, Eddie, I’m off next week, starting Monday. Going to Mexico."
  Eddie nodded, and Dominguez did a little dance.
  "Me and Theresa. Gonna see the whole family. Par-r-r-ty."
  He stopped dancing when he noticed Eddie staring.
  "You ever been?" Dominguez said.
  "Been?"
  "To Mexico?"
  Eddie exhaled through his nose. "Kid, I never been anywhere I wasn’t shipped to with a rifle."
  He watched Dominguez return to the sink. He thought for a moment. Then he took a small wad of bills from his pocket and removed the only twenties he had, two of them. He held them out.
  "Get your wife something nice," Eddie said.
  Dominguez regarded the money, broke into a huge smile, and said, "C’mon, man. You sure?"
  Eddie pushed the money into Dominguez’s palm. Then he walked out back to the storage area. A small "fishing hole" had been cut into the boardwalk planks years ago, and Eddie lifted the plastic cap. He tugged on a nylon line that dropped 80 feet to the sea. A piece of bologna was still attached.
  "We catch anything?" Dominguez yelled. "Tell me we caught something!"
  Eddie wondered how the guy could be so optimistic. There was never anything on that line.
  "One day," Dominguez yelled, "we’re gonna get a halibut!"
  "Yep," Eddie mumbled, although he knew you could never pull a fish that big through a hole that small.

还有三十分钟。
  “嘿,听说是你生日,生日快乐”,多明戈斯说道。
  艾迪嘀咕着。“没派对或者其他什么的?”
  艾迪像疯子一样看着他。一会,他觉得 在一个满是棉花糖味道的地方变老是多么奇怪的。
  “哦,别忘了,艾迪,我下周请了假,从星期一开始,去墨西哥。”
  艾迪点着头,多明戈斯跳起了小舞。
  “我和特里萨。 去她家看看,派...对...嘛...”
  他停了下来,注意到艾迪眼神凝视着。
  “你去过吗?”多明戈斯说道。
  “去?”
  "去墨西哥?"
  艾迪从鼻子呼出气。“小伙子,我哪儿也没去除了以前背着把步枪被船运走。”
  他看到多明戈斯不说话了,想了一会,然后从口袋里掏出一团钱,拿出了唯一的两张二十元。
  “给你妻子买点好东西,”艾迪说道。
  多明戈斯看着钱,抿嘴笑着,并说道,"算了吧,你确定?"。
  艾迪把钱塞到多明戈斯的手里,然后走回到工具存放区。几年前,“钓鱼洞”挖成了木板路,艾迪用尼龙绳把塑料瓶盖穿起,丢到80尺的海里,现在还有一块博洛尼亚红肠挂在上面。
  “我们抓到了什么”,多明戈斯喊道,“告诉我抓到的东西”
  艾迪惊叹这家伙真乐观,那绳上压根就没东西。
  “某一天,”多明戈斯喊道,“我们会抓到一条大的比目鱼!”
  “是哟,”艾迪喃喃自语着,虽然他明明知道不可能把这么大的鱼从那个小洞里拉出来。

TWENTY-SIX MINUTES to live. Eddie crossed the boardwalk to the south end. Business was slow. The girl behind the taffy counter was leaning on her elbows, popping her gum.
  Once, Ruby Pier was the place to go in the summer. It had elephants and fireworks and marathon dance contests. But people didn’t go to ocean piers much anymore; they went to theme parks where you paid $75 a ticket and had your photo taken with a giant furry character.
  Eddie limped past the bumper cars and fixed his eyes on a group of teenagers leaning over the railing. Great, he told himself. Just what I need.
  "Off," Eddie said, tapping the railing with his cane. C’mon. It s not safe.
  Whrrrssssh, A wave broke on the beach. Eddie coughed up something he did not want to see. He spat it away.
  Whrrssssssh. He used to think a lot about Marguerite. Not so much now. She was like a wound beneath an old bandage, and he had grown more used to the bandage.
  Whrrssssssh.
  What was shingles?
  Whrrsssssh.
  Sixteen minutes to live.

只能活二十六分钟了。艾迪穿过木板小路来到南端。事情来得总是慢。女孩趴在太妃糖果摊的柜台上,吹着泡泡糖。
  曾经,夏天常去的地方就是鲁比·皮尔,这里有大象,焰火还有马拉松式的舞蹈竞赛。但是人们不常来这里了。他们会去需要75美元门票的主题公园和巨毛人照相。
  艾迪瘸着从碰碰车旁走过,并把目光停留在一群爬在栏杆上的年轻人。好样的,他告诉自己,正是他想要的。
  “下来,”艾迪说道,并用他的拐杖敲着栏杆。“下来,那不安全”。
  哗哗哗..唏,海浪在沙滩上消逝。艾迪咳出些他不想看到的东西,他吐了出来。
  哗哗哗..唏。他过去常常回想玛格丽特。现在想得没那么多了。她就像是老旧绷带下的伤口,他过去常常也是在这绷带下变老。
  哗哗哗..唏。
  什么是疱疹?
  哗哗哗..唏。
  只能活十六分钟了。

NO STORY SITS by itself. Sometimes stories meet at corners and sometimes they cover one another completely, like stones beneath a river.
  The end of Eddie’s story was touched by another seemingly innocent story, months earlier—a cloudy night when a young man arrived at Ruby Pier with three of his friends.
  The young man, whose name was Nicky, had just begun driving and was still not comfortable carrying a key chain. So he removed the single car key and put it in his jacket pocket, then tied the jacket around his waist.
  For the next few hours, he and his friends rode all the fastest rides: the Flying Falcon, the Splashdown, Freddy’s Free Fall, the Ghoster Coaster.
  "Hands in the air!" one of them yelled.
  They threw their hands in the air.
  Later, when it was dark, they returned to the car lot, exhausted and laughing, drinking beer from brown paper bags. Nicky reached into his jacket pocket. He fished around. He cursed.
  The key was gone.

没有一个故事会单独地发生。有些故事相遇在某个角落,有些则会完全覆盖掉另一个,就像河底的石头,你完全看不见。
  艾迪故事的结局被另一个看上去毫无关联的故事触动。几个月前,一个多云的夜晚,一个年轻人和他三个朋友来到鲁比·皮尔。
  这个叫尼基的年轻人,刚学会驾驶,还不习惯一串钥匙都挂在一起,因此,他把车钥匙取了下来,把它的放进了夹克口袋里,然后把夹克绑在腰上。
  在接下来的几个小时里,他和他的朋友坐了所有最快的娱乐项目:飞行猎鹰,急流勇进,Freddy式自由下落,幽灵过山车。
  “把手放开!”他们中的一个叫道。
  他们把手放开伸在空中。
  然后,当天黑了,他们玩得精疲力尽,笑着,喝着啤酒回到停车场。尼基把手伸进夹克口袋,摸了半天。他咒骂道,钥匙不见了。

FOURTEEN MINUTES UNTIL his death. Eddie wiped his brow with a handkerchief. Out on the ocean, diamonds of sunlight danced on the water, and Eddie stared at their nimble movement. He had not been right on his feet since the war.
  But back at the Stardust Band Shell with Marguerite—there Eddie had still been graceful. He closed his eyes and allowed himself to summon the song that brought them together, the one Judy Garland sang in that movie. It mixed in his head now with the cacophony of the crashing waves and children screaming on the rides.
  "You made me love you—"
  Whsssshhhh.
  "—do it, I didn’t want to do i—"
  Spllllldddaashhhhhhh.
  "—me love you—"
  Eeeeeeee!
  "—time you knew it, and all the—"
  Chhhhewisshhhh.
  "—knew it . . ."
  Eddie felt her hands on his shoulders. He squeezed his eyes tightly, to bring the memory closer.

离他的死还有十四分钟。艾迪用手帕擦了擦额头。远处海面上,阳光的钻石在海面上舞蹈着,艾迪凝视着那些轻盈的闪动。从那战争,他的脚就没好过。
  但是回和玛格丽特在星尘贝壳舞台上,艾迪依然很斯文雅致。他闭上双眼,让自己召唤着一首朱迪·伽兰德在电影里唱的歌,也就是把他们连在一起的歌。他的思绪和孩子们在过山车上的尖叫声搀和在一起。

"You made me love you—"
  Whsssshhhh.
  "—do it, I didn’t want to do i—"
  Spllllldddaashhhhhhh.
  "—me love you—"
  Eeeeeeee!
  "—time you knew it, and all the—"
  Chhhhewisshhhh.
  "—knew it . . ."

艾迪感觉着她的双手就放在他的肩膀上,他紧闭着双眼,把记忆带到更近。

TWELVE MINUTES TO live.
  " ’Scuse me."
  A young girl, maybe eight years old, stood before him, blocking his sunlight. She had blonde curls and wore flip-flops and denim cutoff shorts and a lime green T-shirt with a cartoon duck on the front. Amy, he thought her name was. Amy or Annie. She’d been here a lot this summer, although Eddie never saw a mother or father.
  " ’Scuuuse me," she said again. "Eddie Maint’nance?"
  Eddie sighed. "Just Eddie," he said.
  "Eddie?"
  "Um hmm?"
  "Can you make me . . ."
  She put her hands together as if praying.
  "C’mon, kiddo. I don’t have all day."
  "Can you make me an animal? Can you?"
  Eddie looked up, as if he had to think about it. Then he reached into his shirt pocket and pulled out three yellow pipe cleaners, which he carried for just this purpose.
  "Yesssss!" the little girl said, slapping her hands.
  Eddie began twisting the pipe cleaners.
  "Where’s your parents?"
  "Riding the rides."
  "Without you?"
  The girl shrugged. "My mom’s with her boyfriend."
  Eddie looked up. Oh.
  He bent the pipe cleaners into several small loops, then twisted the loops around one another. His hands shook now, so it took longer than it used to, but soon the pipe cleaners resembled a head, ears, body, and tail.
  "A rabbit?" the little girl said.
  Eddie winked.
  "Thaaaank you!"
  She spun away, lost in that place where kids don’t even know their feet are moving. Eddie wiped his brow again, then closed his eyes, slumped into the beach chair, and tried to get the old song back into his head.
  A seagull squawked as it flew overhead.

十二分钟的生命。
  “抱歉”
  一个年轻的女孩,大约9岁了,站在他面前,阻挡了他的阳光。她一头金色卷发,穿着双凉鞋,剪短的牛仔裤和一件前面有个卡通鸭子的灰绿色体恤。艾米,他想她的名字可能叫这个。艾米或安妮。今年夏天,这小女孩来这里好多次了,但是艾迪从来没有看见过她的母亲或父亲。
  “抱歉,”她又说了一遍,“艾迪维修?”
  艾迪着叹气,“我只叫 艾迪”,他说。
  “艾迪?”
  “嗯哼?”
  “你能帮我......”
  她把双手合在一起,祈求似的。
  “快点吧,乖乖,我可没那么多时间。”
  “你可不可以给我做一个小动物吗?可以吗?”
  艾迪朝上看了一下,仿佛在思考。然后他把手伸进他体恤的口袋里,照他思考的拿出三根黄色的管道清洁条。
  “太好了!”,小女孩说道,拍着双手。
  艾迪开始摆弄着管道清洁条。
  “你的父母呢?”
  “坐那些玩的去了。”
  “留下你?”
  小女孩耸着肩。“我妈妈跟他的男朋友一起的。”
  艾迪翻了个白眼。“哦。”
  他把着管道清洁条弄完成几个小的圈,再把这些圈一个接一个地揉在一起。他的手现在有些颤抖,因此比以前弄的更久,不过,也一会儿,管道清洁条弄得像脑袋,耳朵,身体,尾巴。
  “一只兔子?”小女孩说到。
  艾迪递了个眼色。
  “谢..谢你!”
  她转身跑开了,消失在孩子们都甚至不知道他们脚在移动的地方。艾迪擦了擦额头,然后闭上双眼,跌坐在沙滩椅上,继续尝试着让那首老歌重新回绕在他的思绪中。
  一只海鸥飞在他头顶上叫着。

HOW DO PEOPLE choose their final words? Do they realize their gravity? Are they fated to be wise?

By his 83rd birthday, Eddie had lost nearly everyone he’d cared about. Some had died young, and some had been given a chance to grow old before a disease or an accident took them away. At their funerals, Eddie listened as mourners recalled their final conversations. "It’s as if he knew he was going to die. . . ." some would say.

Eddie never believed that. As far as he could tell, when your time came, it came, and that was that. You might say something smart on your way out, but you might just as easily say something stupid.

For the record, Eddie’s final words would be "Get back!"

人们怎么选择他们的遗言?他们平常不会意识到这是庄严的问题,也没有那样天生慧根。
  在他83岁生日之前,艾迪差不多失去了所有他关心的人。有些年轻的时候就死了,有些正当变老的时候,被疾病或意外带走。在他们的葬礼上,艾迪静静地听着那些送葬的人们回忆他们之间最后的对话。有些会说,“他就好像是知道自己快死了...”。

艾迪从来就不相信那是真的。至于他能说,当你的时间到了,那就肯定到了,就是这样。你在最后可能会说出什么睿智的话,但你也可能很容易地说出什么愚蠢的话。

注意,艾迪最后的遗言会是“快退后!”

HERE ARE THE sounds of Eddie’s last minutes on earth. Waves crashing. The distant thump of rock music. The whirring engine of a small biplane, dragging an ad from its tail. And this.

"OH MY GOD! LOOK!"

Eddie felt his eyes dart beneath his lids. Over the years, he had come to know every noise at Ruby Pier and could sleep through them all like a lullaby.

This voice was not in the lullaby.

"OH MY GOD! LOOK!"

Eddie bolted upright. A woman with fat, dimpled arms was holding a shopping bag and pointing and screaming. A small crowd gathered around her, their eyes to the skies.

Eddie saw it immediately. Atop Freddy’s Free Fall, the new "tower drop" attraction, one of the carts was tilted at an angle, as if trying to dump its cargo. Four passengers, two men, two women, held only by a safety bar, were grabbing frantically at anything they could.

"OH MY GOD!" the fat woman yelled. "THOSE PEOPLE! THEY’RE GONNA FALL!"

在艾迪的最后几分钟,这儿有些声音。人潮汹涌,远处的摇滚乐,在尾巴上拖着广告的小双翼飞机引擎的呼呼声。还有。
  “OMG!快看呀!”
  艾迪的眼球在合上的眼皮下转动着。多年来,他习惯了在鲁比皮尔的每种喧哗声,甚至还可以睡着,就像这些是摇篮曲似的。
  这声音不是摇篮曲。
  “OMG!快看呀!”
  艾迪猛然立了起来。一个胖女人,胖得双臂上都有酒窝的女人,拿着一个购物袋,指着,尖叫着。
  一小群人聚集在她的周围,他们都朝着天上望去。
  “遇得到哟!”那胖女人大叫着“那些人!他们快掉下来了!”

返回列表 回复 发帖